When her son was diagnosed with mucormycosis, Suzi Yaeger did what many people would do and typed the unfamiliar word into an Internet search engine.
Phrases including “high mortality rate,” “poor prognosis” and “often fatal” jumped off the computer screen.
Daniel Yaeger, 16, had contracted the very rare fungal infection from mold in the closet of a home the family leased until September, doctors found. He has been hospitalized since Oct. 28, hoping that doctors can get him well enough to perform an operation to remove his right lung, his mother said.
To continue reading please click on the link below.