San Francisco residents sees black mold? Here’s what you do

Stachybotrys chartarum. The sound of these words alone is rather serious, and rightfully so, as this is the scientific wording for black mold. Mold, whether the white or black type, is formed when spores attach to an area where moisture is present. Depending on the medium the spores land upon, they will spread, causing a full-blown case of mold. Black mold tends to grow on cellulose-based materials, such as wood or particle board. When you notice black spots inside your kitchen or bathroom cabinets or on the wall, you may have a case of black mold that requires mold testing for San Francisco home.

The first step you need to take is precautionary protect both your skin and your respiratory system before you take a closer look. Open windows in the room with the mold. Wear a respirator and gloves when checking the area so you do not put yourself at risk for health problems. Black mold is known to cause breathing problems if spores are disturbed.

If the areas is under 10 sq ft you may choose to try to remove the mold yourself however you should consider professional mold testing first because the visible area of mold and actual area may not be the same. To remove mold yourself place a non-ammonia based cleaner or commercial-grade mold cleaner along with some hot water inside a spray bottle. A 50/50 solution of chemical to water may work sufficiently in removing mold. Spray the area liberally and use a brush to scrape mold spores from the surface. After the darker mold seems to be removed, you will be left with a lighter gray surface, as the mold may have settled into the fibers of the wood or particle board. Wet a cloth with hot water and use it to wipe down the surfaces you treated with cleaner. Use a dry cloth to remove any moisture.
Place 1/8 to 1/4 of a cup of chlorine bleach inside a quart-sized spray bottle. Fill the remainder of the bottle with hot water and shake so the bleach mixes well. Spray this solution on the areas affected with mold. Apply it so it saturates the entire area and leave in place for fifteen to twenty minutes before drying with a cloth. If the area still wet, use a fan to help dry it completely.

To prevent the mold from returning, a mold tester in San Francisco should be called to check the area to determine a plan for avoiding mold in the future and removing it for good if you have trouble doing it on your own.

By Simon Hahessy | Posted in Mold Inspection