Heavy Metal Can Be Toxic to Your Environment

When you hear the environmental testing experts at AirMD talking about dangerous exposure to heavy metal, we’re not talking about a bad Metallica tribute band. (Although, that could be pretty toxic, too, and could definitely hurt your ears.)

No, when we talk about heavy metals, we are referring to actual metals that can have a negative impact on your health. Some of the most common ways that you might be exposed to toxic heavy metals are:

  • Through your water system, especially if you have lead pipes
  • Through the food that you eat, such as fish contaminated with mercury
  • By inhaling toxic dust particles or fumes
  • At your place of employment
  • Exposure to the lead paint that is often found in older homes
  • Consuming herbal supplements containing heavy metals

What Are Heavy Metals?

Heavy metals in and of themselves aren’t necessarily a bad thing. In fact, as the health experts at WebMD say, “We need small amounts of some of them, such as copper and iron, to keep our bodies healthy.”

The problem arises when you are exposed to unhealthy levels of these substances. “Heavy metals, like arsenic, lead, mercury, and others, are all around us. They’re in the ground we walk on, in the water we drink, and in the products we use every day,” WebMD’s experts explain. “But high levels of most heavy metals can cause health problems.”

The heavy metals you are most likely to come in contact with include:

  • Arsenic
  • Cadmium
  • Copper
  • Iron
  • Lead
  • Mercury
  • Zinc

Signs and Symptoms of Heavy Metal Poisoning

The signs of chronic metal poisoning develop slowly as you are exposed to a heavy metal over time. As the harmful substance gradually builds up in your system, you may experience a wide variety of symptoms including:

  • Body aches
  • Depression
  • Fatigue
  • Insomnia
  • Headaches
  • Skin problems
  • Constipation and other gastric problems

“Drinking water with lead in it can lead to cognitive problems and slower development in kids,” WebMD cautions. “Infants who drink formula mixed with tap water are at especially high risk if their drinking water is contaminated.”

If you have questions or concerns about possible heavy metal exposure, please feel free to ask an AirMD specialist a question. You can also call us at 1 888 462 4763 (1 888 GO AIRMD).

By AirMD | Posted in General